Friday, September 18, 2009

Cultural Relativism, Absolute Truth? or Absolute Statement?

Cultural Relativism

To me this is an excellent philosophical approach to a logical explanation that cultural relativism is not a plausible theory through its own believe system. Of course its up to the reader to decide if they "buy" this argument. Indeed it is rather convincing indeed! However, I am going to quote the most convincing argument and leave it at that:

"
Cultural relativism is the philosophical belief that all cultural views are equally valid. However, if you test this position under general rules of logic, you soon discover that relativism is illogical and self-defeating. If relativism is true and all points of view are true, then the assertion that relativism is false, is true. Is this contradictory? Yes. Is truth contradictory? No.

Relativists believe that all truth is relative. Therefore, the statement, "All truth is relative," would be absolutely true. If this statement is absolutely true, then not all things are relative and the statement is false.

Relativists declare that "there are no absolute truths." However, this is an absolute statement, which is supposed to be true. Therefore, it is an absolute truth and the statement is false.

According to the relativist position, I can have my own version of truth. Therefore, a truth for me is that relativism is false. Based on the relativistic rules, I have just established that relativism is false. Of course, the relativist will say "no" to my logic, but then what is true for me is not really true, and, again, I have proven the philosophy of relativism false.

Give it some thought…"

I am giving it some thought. Is there a difference between an absolute "statement" and an "absolute truth"? First you have to ask yourself if this wins the argument! I have never claimed to be a relativist. Do I believe he has proven something false? I am unsure if he has. However I have made assertions that not everyone can be absolutely right and that not everyone can be absolutely wrong. Can there be any absolutes? Are there any absolute truths beyond a shadow of a doubt? This must be measured in terms of your own cultural belief system. I will always place human rights in front of cultural relativism. However, my philosophy regarding absolutes remains my own philosophy. I am not saying this makes me a relativist. I am just saying that how can half of the world be wrong about one particular matter or the other, and the rest of the world be right about the same particular matter, and whom is to say who is correct? This is a thinking man and woman's blog. I am sure that most of you have decided that by now.

William

No comments: